Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Designing With Photos

I love photography! Photos play such a dramatic impact on your digital layouts. It is becoming a second passion for me. I only wish that my income could support ALL of my expensive hobbies! But, having a simple digital camera is really all you need if you have great software. Sometimes a photo can be the star of the layout with only a few simple words added. Photos also can play a vital role in the colors you choose to use.

If you are looking for a dramatic effect, use a large photo to cover most of the page or all of it. Sometimes I want give my layout a classic, timeless look. Black and white photos fit the bill perfectly. Sepia also works well, adding warmth to the layout. Both of these enhancements can provide great contrast to the photos. Maybe the photo has something in it that you really want to focus on or make stand out. By turning the photo black and white and erasing this part of layer over the item you wish to focus on, the item will pop out and add a little color.

Another fun option, is to give your photos a vintage or hand tinted look. This is a great option for heritage scrapbooks too! Then there are those photos that you love, but turned out less than perfect. Well, don't thrown them out! Give them an artsy touch with a filter or increasing the opacity. They can be used as backgrounds for your layouts or journaling. There are endless options to improve and enhance your photos to add drama to your layout! Here are some examples. So, start taking more pictures!!



Photos as your Focal Point:


Photos as Backgrounds:


Fun Effects with Photos:







2 comments:

Jenny said...

I really like the Creekside page. Did you do something besides lowering the opacity to make it greenish?

Alicia said...

I did take the opacity down on the photo, but I was using a green paper for the background which you could now see.